There are two ways to create a Murmurations profile:
- If you run WordPress – install the plugin by following the instructions below
- If you have any other kind of website – create your own .json file.
Install the WordPress plugin
Installing the plugin is really simple and should take about 2 minutes.
Steps to install:
- Download the latest version of the plugin as a zip file here
- Upload the plugin to your WordPress via:
- Activate the plugin
- Visit the Murmurations settings at
- The plugin will capture as much info from your existing site as possible, but please fill in any blank fields:
- Name: the name of your site
- Tagline: the tagline of your site
- Mission: the purpose or mission of your organisation
- Organisation or project types: Add a few terms which describe your type of organisation e.g. “co-op” + “community” etc. This field auto-populates suggestions when you start typing
- Location: The location of your organisation. This can be a postcode or a city and country etc
- Logo: If the plugin has not found your logo automatically browse to your media library and pick your logo.
- Networks: Add any networks you are part of e.g. “co-tech” or “co-ops UK” or “Transition towns” etc – this enables greater filtering by aggregators
- RSS feed URL: This should be auto-populated, but please add it if this field is blank. On most wordpress sites you feed URL is at https://yoursite.com/feed/
- Hit Save
That’s it – your site will now be added to the Murmurations Index and any Aggregators that are pulling data from the index.
To check it worked, please visit https://murmurations.network/directory/ and refresh and you should see your organisation or project in the list 🙂 If your site does not appear please wait a minute, do another hard refresh (hold shift and hit refresh) and if it is still not in the list please let us know and we will check and fix any issues.